My favorite place: Baños, Ecuador

I've been to a lot of wonderful places in my life, but the one that takes the cake is a small town in Ecuador called Baños de Agua Santo ("Baths of Holy Water" in English), commonly known as just Baños. Baños is a popular getaway destination, known for its beauty, its proximity to the Tungurahau volcano, and its offerings of extreme sports.

One of my favorite spots in the town was La Casa del Arbol, a swing on the peak of a mountain. In English, it's called "the swing at the end of the world" because it truly looks like you are flying over the edge of the Earth. (Please note: I am not a flat-earther.) The hike to the swing was well worth the beautiful view.

(Image information: Personal photo of someone on La Casa del Arbol, or "the swing at the end of the world," in Baños, Ecuador, in February 2018.)

I studied abroad in Quito, Ecuador, in spring 2019. Did you know that Ecuador is the only country in the world where nature has constitutional rights? That's part of why the whole country -- from the Galápagos islands, to the beaches, to the rainforest -- is revered for its beauty. Pictured below is El Pailón del Diablo, a beautiful waterfall in the mountains of Baños.

(Image information: Personal photo of me posing in front of El Pailón del Diablo, or "the Devil's
Waterfall," in February 2018.)

I went to Baños with two friends from my host university during Carnival weekend. One "extreme sport" we did was canyoning, or rappelling down waterfalls. It was difficult, but so much fun.

(Image information: Personal photo of me canyoning in February 2019.)

(Image information: Personal photo of me (far right) and two friends after rappelling down a particularly large waterfall in February 2019.)

I'm so happy I was able to go to Ecuador and significantly improve my Spanish. I hope to go back one day and explore all the places I wasn't able to go!

Comments

  1. Oh my gosh, that photo is GORGEOUS, Emily... I love a good swing, but I have never gotten to play on a swing with a view like that. It's beautiful! And the waterfall pictures are also fabulous! I have a friend who is a teacher living in the Galapagos Islands; he lived in Guayaquil and then took a job in the Galapagos. Maybe you will want to do a Spanish-language-related project for this class. I don't collect Spanish-language texts the way I do English texts, but every once in a while I see a book that looks so interesting that I bookmark it anyway (I can read Spanish, but very very very slowly); here's one I found this summer that looks fantastic: Folklore from the Dominican Republic by Manuel José Andrade, free online at Hathi Trust ... from the titles I can see so many cool stories in there! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts