Week 2 Reading Overview

Choose from CLASSICAL and/or BIBLICAL units for Weeks 3 and 4.

Week 3: Bible Women

Week 4: Jewish Fairy Tales

Choose from MIDDLE EASTERN and/or INDIAN units for Weeks 5 and 6.

Week 5: Folklore of the Holy Land: Moslem, Christian and Jewish

Week 6: Tales of a Parrot

Choose from ASIAN and/or AFRICAN units for Weeks 7 and 9. [Week 8 is review week.]

Week 7: West African Folktales 

Week 9: Nigerian Folk Stories

Choose from NATIVE AMERICAN units for Weeks 10 and 11.

Week 10: Tejas Legends 

Week 11: Sioux Legends

Choose from BRITISH and/or CELTIC units for Weeks 12 and 13.

Week 12: Alice in Wonderland

Week 13: More English Tales

Choose from EUROPEAN units for Weeks 14 and 15.

Week 14: Inferno

Week 15: Lang's European Fairy Tales I


I am really excited to read all of these, but especially Bible Women, West African Folktales, Alice in Wonderland, and Inferno. The book A Year of Biblical Womanhood by the late Rachel Held Evans gave me a lot of insight of the stories of lesser-known women in the Bible and beliefs about women. As I mentioned in a previous blog post, I grew up reading folk tales from African cultures, and I love the story of Anansi the trickster, so I'm excited to revisit the story as an adult. I was in a stage production of Alice in Wonderland when I was in school, so that story is close to my heart. And I read Inferno in my senior English class, and reading Dante reminds me of that teacher, who is now a close friend of mine.

An illustration by Cecilia Sinclair in Why Spiders Are Always Found in Corners of Ceilings. I chose this image because I love the story of Anasi the trickster.

Comments

Popular Posts