Reading notes: Tales of a Parrot, reading A

I really loved the parrot's stories. The whole concept of the parrot being clever and tricking the woman into staying home instead of meeting with her mistress, all the while thinking it's her idea to stay the whole time, is so funny to me!

My favorite of all the parrot's tales was Four Rich Persons who Became Poor. I think it was a very clever way to illustrate greed, and it reminded me a lot of fables like Aesop's and parables that Jesus told in the Bible.

Four poor men and the philosopher. Source: Australian
National University
When I first read the title, I thought it said "Four Poor Persons who Became Rich," which made sense with the first three men, who found the copper, silver, and gold mines -- so I didn't question it. But when the fourth man passed up the gold, turned down his iron, and lost the philosopher who granted him the gift in the first place, I reread the title and realized: the first three men became rich in assets, but all four became poor in spirit. Even the men whose greed did not result in the loss of their riches still lost the richness of heart that wealthy people just don't have.

I really liked the storytelling style -- the way the parrot told each story in a vignette reminds me of how the muses sing individual stories of heroes and gods. I hope to incorporate that into my own storybook.

Comments

Popular Posts