Topic brainstorm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf.
Source: Fables of Aesop
One storybook topic I'm interested in writing is fables. I have always loved to read fables since I was a little girl, and I find the differences and similarities of fables across cultures fascinating. I would love to explore various moral lessons and modernize fables to apply to our world today. I really enjoy reading about the wise and foolish men Aesop writes about.











Rachel Held Evans during her experiential year of Biblical womanhood.
Source: Evans' website










I also am quite interested in stories from the Bible. I especially love reading about the women of the Bible; they have always been the most fun for me to read about as I've grown up in the church. I think I have written before about A Year of Biblical Womanhood by the late Rachel Held Evans, in which Evans spends 12 months attempting to follow the various rules the Bible lays out for women. That book taught me a lot about female figures in the Bible and the way women were perceived in that time.



Limbo, the first circle of hell. Source: History Lists
One of my favorite things I read in high school was Dante's Inferno. I've enjoyed revisiting it and being reminded of the various fun projects I did in response to it so many years ago, including deciding what my own circles of hell would be and what I would do if I were the guide of hell like Virgil. I think Inferno would be a great source of inspiration for my own storybook.






The nine Muses. Source: Greek myths and Greek mythology
Finally, I love Greek mythology, especially the story of the Muses (Chapter XIX). I studied the Muses when I studied literary criticism in high school, and I've had a soft spot for them ever since. I also enjoy reading about Persephone and Demeter. I think the inspiration from Greek mythology is endless!

Comments

Popular Posts