Week 11 reading: Sioux Legends, part A

This week, I decided to read the Sioux Legends. One of my closest friends is from Sioux Falls, South Dakota, which is a lovely little town (I assume the falls themselves, now brown, were once pretty). So I was excited to see the Sioux legends and learn a little bit more about the Native peoples from that area!

I really enjoyed The Simpleton's Wisdom. When the grieving mother said, "If while I mourn for the dead I can still be mirthful, there is no reason for me to despair. I no longer care to die," I smiled -- what a nice sentiment. I have experienced grief and joy at the same time, and it made me feel guilty. I felt like the old men of the council -- if I'm laughing, am I respecting the person I lost? But to keep on living a happy life is perhaps the most respectful way to honor them.

The original drawing in Myths and Legends of the Sioux.
Another story that brought me joy was A Little Brave and the Medicine Woman. It honestly reminded me a bit of Finding Nemo, when Nemo and his friends from school swim past the edge to touch the boat. Nemo was the only one brave enough to actually touch the boat, which ended up being very bad for him. Likewise, things got bad for Brave when he scared everyone in his village, even his mother!

Finally, I liked reading The Wonderful Turtle. The idea that someone so wise can be with someone so beautiful is heartwarming -- until you realize the beautiful woman is not loyal to her wise husband when he is gone for a long time. Like many of the Chinese folk tales I read, this story did not have a happy ending or any type of moral. You just are sad, because it seems unfair that a good man could be wronged in this way, after all he has done for the tribe.

Comments

Popular Posts