Week 8 comments and feedback

So far, I've felt the comments from my classmates have been really helpful. I think there's been a solid mix of compliments on my writing and suggestions for improvement, which I appreciate as someone who's a little sensitive and has to work hard to not take constructive criticism personally. (This class is helping me get a lot better at that!) I especially appreciate specific suggestions (such as "I was a little confused at this part... what if you did X?") as opposed to more vague criticisms (such as "I was confused at this part" without saying why).

In giving feedback to others, I've found the WWW strategy to be super useful. I always want to make sure I balance my comments with positive and constructive feedback. I hope people are finding my comments helpful! Also, reading others' writing and thinking critically about it has definitely helped my own writing. If I get to a part in someone's story that makes me think, "Wow!", I can think about how to incorporate something similar in my own stories. Likewise, if I get to a part in someone's story that confuses me or makes me wonder about something, it helps me think, "How can I make my stories more clear?"

I've really enjoyed reading the comments on my introduction and commenting on others'. I've even found that I already knew a few people in this class, so it's cool to connect with them in a different space and see their creative writing that I wouldn't have normally seen! I think my introduction post explains what I study and do pretty well, and has enough fun facts about me to spark interesting comments and conversation.

In my comments for others, I want to continue striving to use the WWW technique and balancing positive feedback with constructive criticism. One way I could improve is to make my comments longer and maybe more detailed. I just published my introduction this weekend, so I'm looking forward to comments on it and hopefully will find suggestions for improvement.

I chose this image because I think active listening is so important. One thing about listening that I've learned that has helped me is remembering to listen just to listen, not listen to respond. Also, when people are talking to me about problems they're having, it's important to ask them if they want advice from me or if they just need a safe space to talk about what they're going through. These points in this infographic illustrate even more ways to be a good listener that I'll definitely be trying out.

Comments

Popular Posts